Week Three Update!
Three weeks in and we've accomplished an amazing amount of work at "Tangledweed". Missed four days of work because of a late winter snow storm but Rick continues to crack the whip, moving the process along quickly. Here's what we've accomplished:
1. Front porch dismantled and mostly rebuilt. Just waiting for the Stockbridge building inspector, Ned Baldwin, to inspect the work before putting down the new deck boards and trim it out. Staging is gone and the porch is rock-solid!
2. Sagging beam replaced and staging removed. Kitchen ceiling has never been so stable. Here is an image of 16' beam going in place. Rick cut a hole in the side of the house and the beam (really five pieces of laminate wood joined together) was wedged into place. I took this image from outside the building while hammering the beam into place with a sledge hammer. Rick aligns it so it slides into the opening 16 feet away and rests on a massive vertical beam.
3. Missy works on removing kinda ugly slates laid on the dining room floor to protect it from a heavy wood stove that once sat there.
4. Rotted bulkhead removed by Jimmy & Digger. Existing opening in the foundation closed off and building inspector ok'd a concrete form to close off the area. Digger must have a closet full of these jump suits!
5. While all this was going on Missy works to remove 130 years of wallpaper from the house. It was painted and makes for a struggle to remove it! Lots of work ahead...